- Knicks To Run Triangle Offense Exclusively Next Season
- Sweet Sixteen Predictions PART 2: Who Comes Out On Top?
- The Flash Season 3 Review: 3.17: Duet
- Kristaps Porzingis Is Ready To Step Into Leadership Role
- Bates Motel Season 5 Review: 5.5: Dreams Die First
- Sweet Sixteen Predictions PART 1: Who Comes Out On Top?
Bates Motel Season 5 Review: 5.4: Hidden
- Updated: March 14, 2017
Compared to last week’s episode of Bates Motel season 5, “Hidden” felt like a bit of a filler episode. There were some entertaining scenes, but nothing truly gripping.
Norman Bates giving all Norma Bates’ clothes to Madeleine Loomis was nicely weird. I’ll always be a sucker for the interplay between Norman and Chick. And, of course, Alex Romero’s badassery as he stole from an ambulance, then did surgery on himself was awesome.
But, nothing about the plot of “Hidden” really kept me on the edge of my seat. It felt like the suspense was just gone and there was no emotional core in its place.
This episode introduce a Sherriff’s investigation into the man Norman killed in the season 5 premiere. But, at the moment, that doesn’t feel like it’s really increasing the stakes in an exciting way. We’ve seen Norman get out of worse and they haven’t demonstrated why this investigation is different. I’m hoping the Sherriff character will become a more interesting antagonist.
Unfortunately, Norman’s conversations with the mother are getting thin. I understand why the show would feel it necessary to give Vera Farmiga a decent part in each episode after she made the show what it was for four seasons, but Norman’s conversations with Norma don’t feel like they have true dramatic action. At this point, they’ve been having the same argument every episode.
A so-so episode of Bates Motel is still better than most dramas on TV, but it felt like a disappointment after last week ramped up so much.
Hopefully, things will get exciting again soon. We still have Dylan Massett and Emma Decody’s return to look forward to. Plus, episode 6 is titled “Marion” so it should introduce Marion Crane. I’m very eager to see what Rihanna is like in the role of Marion.
Latest posts by Lenny Burnham (see all)
- The Flash Season 3 Review: 3.17: Duet - March 22, 2017
- Bates Motel Season 5 Review: 5.5: Dreams Die First - March 21, 2017
- The Flash Season 3 Review: 3.16: Into the Speed Force - March 15, 2017
- Bates Motel Season 5 Review: 5.4: Hidden - March 14, 2017
- Powerless Season 1 Review: 1.4: Cold Season - March 10, 2017